Monday, November 27, 2006

dave cockrum died

Who is Dave Cockrum and why should I care? He's one of the guys - the artist - who helped revive the low-selling X-Men title in the mid-70s with new characters like Storm, Nightcrawler, Colossus and a dude who only appeared twice in another title by the name of Wolverine that eventually turned into a cash-making machine for Marvel a few years later.



I'm not a super X-Men fan. I used to read the books in the 80s and early 90s before their popularity got to a point where there were 10 different spinoff titles published every month, each with deliberetly confusing and mysterious storylines that made it impossible to keep up. Imagine if there were five "Lost" spinoffs, and you had to watch all of them. That's annoying. Still, I always had a softspot for the X-Men, occasionally dipping my toes back in for the movies and video games. Cockrum helped create two of my favorite members - Nightcrawler and Colossus - so I'm taking the moment to tell you about him and why I think he's pretty cool.

Mark Evanier's blog News From Me has a much better writeup about Dave, so check it out if you're so inclined.

No comments: