Wednesday, August 23, 2006

The hands of time

So the other day, the wife went into the store to get new batteries for a number of watches. A day later, she’s wearing one of the watches when she asks me what time is it? She thinks it’s 1:30. I tell her it’s actually 3. Clearly, her watch has stopped again, and she moved it up to the correct time.

She then proceeds to tell me that her mother never wears watches because they stop all the time. It’s not a battery problem, it’s not a winding problem, they just stop. It doesn’t matter what watch she wears, it will stop. That’s crazy … like X-Files crazy.

Is it science? Is it biology? Is it a crooked watch dealer? A brief search of Google and Wikipedia has brought me no answers (Oh, Internet, you have failed me for the last time!). Is this an actual phenomenon? Or is this simply a random occurrence that has somehow turned to legend, like my father’s stories of managing Rick James?

Perhaps she has an electromagnetic pulse.

No comments: